Graduate School of Education - George Mason University
Graduate School of Education - George Mason University

Our Graduate School of Education is the alma mater for one third of teachers and administrators in Northern Virginia’s world-class school systems. Each year, more than 3,000 graduate students enroll in our innovative academic programs, which include advanced study for teachers and school leaders, instructional design and technology, and a renowned PhD in Education program that is among the largest in the country.

School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

What types of students apply?

The students in the program embody a diverse population with a wide range of undergraduate backgrounds and work experiences. Many (but not all) of our students include:

  • Corporate training professionals who want to increase their knowledge of educational constructs and technology delivery methods in order to improve their efforts in designing and delivering instruction and/or training in a corporate environment.
  • Multimedia or Web-based designers or developers who are working in the field of instructional tepleaschnology and want to expand their knowledge of learning theory and systematic instructional design processes to more effectively apply these constructs to development of multimedia and Web-based products.
  • K-12 teachers who want to broaden their knowledge of development of technology-based teaching materials or want to expand their career opportunities beyond the K-12 environment while still capitalizing on their knowledge of teaching and learning.
  • Who should I contact for academic advising before applying to the program?

    Instructional Design and Technology Program and e-Learning Graduate Certificate Program:
    Academic Program Coordinator, Dr. Shahron Williams van Rooij at

    Learning Technologies in Schools (LTS) Program:
    Academic Program Coordinator, Dr. Priscilla Norton at

    PhD in Education - Learning Technologies Design Research Specialization:
    Dr. Kevin Clark at

    How much are your tuition and fees?

    Our tuition and fees may be reviewed through Mason Student Accounts, then click on “Graduate Tuition Rates” and scroll down to the rates for the College of Education and Human Development.

    What is the out-of-state tuition rate?

    The "Tuition Discount for CEHD Out-of-State Students" is available to out-of-state students enrolled in the College of Education and Human Development. The discount is calculated off the university’s approved rate for out-of-state graduate students (please see for current rate information).

    Are there any scholarship and financial aid opportunities?

    Please check this page periodically for updated CEHD scholarship opportunities or visit Mason Office of Student Financial Aid Scholarships page.

    Are there any Veteran Education Benefits?

    Once a student has applied for benefits and registered for classes they will need to submit a Veteran Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will then issue a Verification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) via VA ONCE to inform the VA that the student is enrolled at Mason and requesting education benefits. For more information regarding the veteran enrollment certification process at Mason, please visit the Office of Military Services.

    What should I do coming in as an international student?

    To apply for graduate admissions, please view International Graduate Requirements. Also, please contact the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS). OIPS team advises international students on compliance with US immigration law and regulations. In addition to advising, the OIPS team endorses forms, recommends and approves immigration benefits, and processes document requests.